On Thurs 7 Aug 08 @9PM I had a deeply moving and spiritual experience when I lit candles and deeyas for Tibet. This was in unison with everyone in my time zone and done globally. I'd like to explore this and share my experiences with you and hear yours as we participate in universal collective prayer events together. I hope to work together with all the universe's beings as we move toward the ideal of Universal Collective Prayer.

Come join me in Universal Collective Prayer!

May God Bless Us All!

UCP-Universal Collective Prayer is produced by Meady's Musings Production . Copyright 2006-2011

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Eid Mubarak!

I don't know much bout Islam and so don't want to even try to write about it less I put my foot in my mouth...! But tomorrow is the national holiday in Trinidad and Tobago for Eid-Ul-Fitr that marks the end of the month of fasting for Muslims called Ramadan. The most I know about the celebrations myself from outside of the religion is that sawine (a dish made with vermicelli, ghee and milk) is served and usually muslims do give sawine to other non-muslim neighbours etc. Also many non-muslims take part in the festival in a non-religious way by preparing sawine in their homes themselves.

Based on my lack of knowledge about the religion and that I've not been able to contact a guest blogger to talk bout the topic in time...but next year for sure! I have decided to post two videos from Youtube below. One is about the five pillars of Islam which I think is a good general outline of the religion for those who don't know much about it. (me included but I know as much that the five pillars is a big basic part) The other is a vid about Sufism or Sufi Islam which is as far as I know not practiced much in Trinidad and Tobago but was made famous globally through the poetry of Rumi. And I do know a little bit about Sufism as I had researched it once for some writing I was doing and I was always intrigued by the whirling dances and just pure fun I had heard was practiced in it. So I can't help but include this quote from the book: Rumi The Persian, The Sufi by A. Reza Arasteh-Dept. of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, George Washington University, Washington D.C. First published in Iran 1965, And in Great Britain in 1974 by Routledge & Keagan Paul Ltd., London.

Here is the quote:- Chpt. II-Rebirth in Love and Creativity:An Analysis of Rumi, Pg.49

'According to his son, Sultan Walad, Rumi expressed himself in whirling dances for days and nights; he gave away what he possessed, mostly to the musicians, but he still appeared restless. The onlookers were surprised that such a Mufti of Islam should dance like a mad man!(as said by his son Sultan Walad)'



Also what I will say under the banner of UniversalCollectivePrayer which is the title and purpose of this blog is that for sure in Trinidad and Tobago, Muslims and Hindus get along much better than our ancestors would have historically and much better than in some parts of India currently for sure! And perhaps it is the beauty of diaspora, where, away from their homelands, people are forced to adapt and start to learn to be more tolerant of differences and over time this tolerance becomes acceptance... Or as is famously said in Trinidad- 'The Brotherhood of the Boat-Jahaji Bhai'

Happy Eid Holiday to all and hope you find the vids both entertaining and informative.



No comments:


Copyright Meady's Musings Production 2006-2013